Forum moderator: Alex[STAR]  
Forum » Fun and General Discussion » World News & Debates » Religion
Religion
mb53Date: Wednesday, 13-Apr-2011, 8:53 PM | Message # 1
Community Director
Group: Users
Awards: 2
I'm atheist. And like debating.

Reason(s) you believe god/jesus exists ?

Thanks to xXHarDCorEXx/bop240 for making my signature ^^

ArcttyDate: Wednesday, 13-Apr-2011, 10:15 PM | Message # 2
Ninja
Group: Clan Members
Awards: 0
I went to church until i was about 12 and was athiest for about 7 years but not for the past 2 years. Atheism promotes arrogance, most people who are athiest (not all) think christians/religious people are all idiots for believing that stuff. Often times they think they are smarter for being athiest, bill mahr is the epitome of an arrogant athiest. Thats one reason I don't like it.
The bible and religious texts are not meant to be taken literally, they are figurative interpretations. Athiests and creationists/evangelicals have one thing in common, they both interpret the bible literally. The falsehood is not within the text, its within the interpretation of it.
If you consider the basic forces of the universe, gravity, electormagnetism (one more i forget). That stuff doesn't just fall into place, there is an energy behind that, religions just give their figurative interpretation of these types energies and of things that they can not explain.
When you study things like quantum physics or the collective subconscious, atheism starts to look like a dead end (which I believe it is).

Whether I call it god or you call it gravity, the apple still falls to the earth, you can't tell me I am wrong just because I give it a different name.

You are ruling out a lot more than you think by being atheist, a figurative interpretation of something can not be proven or unproven like atheism suggests.

/thread

should be better than masta brads shitty defense and I can't imagine that the rest of these nerds will have the balls to discuss religion.

Message edited by Arctty - Wednesday, 13-Apr-2011, 10:18 PM

stoogeDate: Wednesday, 13-Apr-2011, 10:49 PM | Message # 3
★ Contributor ★ / Legacy Staff
Group: Investor
Awards: 5
It is proven that, God's made us believers but its our ignorance and arrogance that makes us question it, loook at all the ancient histories, every little community believed there was something greater then them, it was the lack of imagination or understanding that some of them believed it was the moon some bellived it was the sun cuz they were up there and bigger then them, but all of them had 1 thing in common beliving in something greater, creater.
alot of athiest will ask the samething "if there is God, show me" to ans this its quite simple go hit ur head on the wall and if u can feel the pain than show "pain" me, or if u tell me u love someone show me "love".
well if we began to understand God, we wouldnt be humans, infact nothing can understand God cuz it is beyond our imagination what God would be.

On the other hand "the big bang theory" is a load of crap cuz no explosion can create anything useful let along creating a complex universe such as ours.
In the end all the violance u see now from religions, all that u saw in past and all that u see in future, is not due to the religion being wrong or violant. Its cuz the extremist/idiots will interpret it wrong and the dumbasses will follow what they tell them and commit in violant crimes.

If I tell you I am good, You will probably think I am boasting.
If I tell you I am bad, You will Know I am lying.

mb53Date: Wednesday, 13-Apr-2011, 11:05 PM | Message # 4
Community Director
Quote (Arctty)
I went to church until i was about 12 and was athiest for about 7 years but not for the past 2 years. Atheism promotes arrogance, most people who are athiest (not all) think christians/religious people are all idiots for believing that stuff. Often times they think they are smarter for being athiest

In no way do I think I am smarter than all of any of my friends (all of which but 1 are christian). I call myself an idiot all the time. I don't go around being an asshole calling people wrong about their beliefs about life. In real life, I ask people questions about their religion all the time, and kind of just absorb it rather than telling them I think they are wrong, mainly because I don't want them to think I'm an ass.

I think that the bible is a terrible thing when people believe everything in it actually happened. I think that it is pretty clear that it didn't. I still think that it is an amazing book, and some things in it are good to live your live by, but if you take it literally, you will be following unnecessary things. Eating crackers every Sunday isn't going to change your life. I like to compare the bible to Aesop's fables.

Whether I call it god or you call it gravity, the apple still falls to the earth, you can't tell me I am wrong just because I give it a different name.
I say I can. But I understand what you are saying.

You are ruling out a lot more than you think by being atheist, a figurative interpretation of something can not be proven or unproven like atheism suggests.
Ok.

I am currently going through confirmation. Which is mainly what brought up this thread for me. My pastor is doing the opposite of what he is supposed to be doing -- he is only confirming my thought that Jesus did not resurrect. He provided many skeptic's arguments against the resurrection. All of his counter-arguments were "Why would the disciples die for a lie? Who would die for a lie? Who would die for a lie?" Which is a terrible argument.

I think that is all I want to say for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

P.S. There seems to be a pattern of atheists converting after a few years. (In fact, my pastor was an atheist who was attempting to prove Christianity wrong and with the nobel peace prize. He claims that he was converted due to the "Who would die for a lie") Anyone else notice this?

Oh, now stooge posted.

alot of athiest will ask the samething "if there is God, show me" to ans this its quite simple go hit ur head on the wall and if u can feel the pain than show "pain" me, or if u tell me u love someone show me "love".
This is a wonderful argument. I have not thought of it this way.
well if we began to understand God, we wouldnt be humans, infact nothing can understand God cuz it is beyond our imagination what God would be.
This one too.

On the other hand "the big bang theory" is a load of crap cuz no explosion can create anything useful let along creating a complex universe such as ours.
Disagree.

I accept that there may or may not be a god, and I will never know for certain.

lspiderlDate: Wednesday, 13-Apr-2011, 11:44 PM | Message # 5
Site Manager
Group: Administrators
Awards: 1
Quote (Arctty)
I went to church until i was about 12 and was athiest for about 7 years but not for the past 2 years. Atheism promotes arrogance, most people who are athiest (not all) think christians/religious people are all idiots for believing that stuff. Often times they think they are smarter for being athiest, bill mahr is the epitome of an arrogant athiest. Thats one reason I don't like it.
The bible and religious texts are not meant to be taken literally, they are figurative interpretations. Athiests and creationists/evangelicals have one thing in common, they both interpret the bible literally. The falsehood is not within the text, its within the interpretation of it.
If you consider the basic forces of the universe, gravity, electormagnetism (one more i forget). That stuff doesn't just fall into place, there is an energy behind that, religions just give their figurative interpretation of these types energies and of things that they can not explain.
When you study things like quantum physics or the collective subconscious, atheism starts to look like a dead end (which I believe it is).
/thread
should be better than masta brads shitty defense and I can't imagine that the rest of these nerds will have the balls to discuss religion.

will wonders never cease i couldnt agree more

the biggest thing that kills me about arrogance of athiests is the constant statements of we KNOW for a FACT this or that when the only and only constant in science is that EVERYTHING we know will eventualy be disproven we barely see 1 millions of one percent of the universe yet throw around "facts " about how it all works and how it all came to be its like seeing one puzzle piece thats 1 cm x 1cm on a puzzle the size of the worlds largest billboard and saying " I know everything there is to know about this puzzle" its purely absurd

I myself am not nessisarily christian although i have been int eh past i would consider my self a spiritual agnostic of sorts with christian leanings , i agree theres much good to be learned fromt eh bible but even the bible says its written in such a way that the reader is meant to SEARCH for the truth and "seek gods face" so the reader is ment to read deeper and seek teh truth on there own and with friends and family to find there own way

but at the same time much can also be learned from budism , zen taoism and many other spiritual texts and religions

I suffer from a condition called dislexix disgraphia so please parden my spelling and typographical errors

mb53Date: Wednesday, 13-Apr-2011, 11:48 PM | Message # 6
Community Director
For the record, I believe that there is no such thing as souls or afterlife. Just life.

lspiderlDate: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 0:12 AM | Message # 7
Site Manager
Quote (mb53)
For the record, I believe that there is no such thing as souls or afterlife. Just life.

heh i guess we will find out in the end wont we smile thats the mystery of life it wouldnt be fun if we KNEW all teh answers

I suffer from a condition called dislexix disgraphia so please parden my spelling and typographical errors

NoBrainDate: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 1:18 AM | Message # 8
Hero
Do you think cats have a god ? do you think Dinosaurs had a god ?
Religion was created by humans in order to search for something they didn't have, that is to say, hope. (to my mind)

je l'ai rêvé si fort... que les draps s'en souviennent..

Message edited by NoBrain - Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 1:18 AM

mb53Date: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 1:21 AM | Message # 9
Community Director
Quote (NoBrain)
You can't compare us to animals, because we will never no what they think.

ArcttyDate: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 1:37 AM | Message # 10
Ninja
Quote (NoBrain)
Religion was created by humans in order to search for something they didn't have, that is to say, hope. (to my mind)

These are the ones I was warning you about lol.

Cats and dinosaurs all felt gravity, all experience electromagnetism. You have to acknowledge the energy behind those forces, just because some people represent that as a conscious being (god) even though its not doesn't make them wrong. Its not about hope.

lspiderlDate: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 1:54 AM | Message # 11
Site Manager
if anyone has ever read the book enders game there are later books in teh series that give a realy cool potential explination for it all

and the peter F hamilton nights dawn trillogy has a great theory on how the soul is an engery imprint created by our minds based on our life and our experinces etc

so if we were able to download all our thoughts and memories into another body it wouldnt transfer our soul but creat a second identical soul ( till the point of divergence)

LittleBDate: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 3:45 AM | Message # 12
Robotic Ninja
OMFG WHY WOULD U CREATE SUCH A THREAD, THIS HAS TO BE NOTICED, DO U KNOW WHERE THIS COULD LEAD? EVERBODY HERE HAS MANY OTHER BELIEFS, U TELL 1, AND THE OTHER DISAGREES BCUS NOT OF THERE RELIGION, AND A BIG HUGE F@CKING FIGHT, I JUST WANT TO SEE WHERE TO POST WILL LEAD , HOW THERE U MB, U HAVE TO THINK!

stoogeDate: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 3:50 AM | Message # 13
★ Contributor ★ / Legacy Staff
Group: Investor
Awards: 5
ur not making any sense at all littlb lol before trolling/flaming maybe concentrate on making sense

If I tell you I am good, You will probably think I am boasting.
If I tell you I am bad, You will Know I am lying.

AntyoneDate: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 4:15 AM | Message # 14
Development Director
Awards: 3
lol this is worse above all b, this post doesnt make sense to me either

LittleBDate: Thursday, 14-Apr-2011, 4:18 AM | Message # 15
Robotic Ninja
it means that , for example, stooge believes in something, and antyone believes in another.... then stooge posts down his belief, but then antyone goes against it bcus his belief is different... then it becomes a war and fights, that never ends bcus 1 person wont stop believeing in what they believe

Forum » Fun and General Discussion » World News & Debates » Religion
Search:
Login Form
Search
Make Donation
Latest Posts

CHAT
Social Networking
Our poll - 1
Rate our map
Total of answers: 501
Stats